Thursday, October 16, 2014

Transmission Mount

Since the day I bought this car there's been an odd vibration when the vehicle is under load. It is most noticeable when the weather was colder and the car is driven uphill. The vibration goes away at higher speed (when the load on the transmission is removed). At first I thought it was a flex disk issue, or carrier bearing but those appear to be in good shape. Looking at the transmission mount with out a flashlight and a pry bar that appears to be in good shape also.
 
After closer inspection with a brighter light and a pry bar it became clear that the rubber mount has deteriorated. I was able to wedge the pry bar under the transmission and move it up and down about 2 inches. Hopefully this is the only source of the vibration.
 Close up of rotten mount.


I ordered a new mount online, and it arrived today.

Looking at the new mount its clearly apparent that this is not the same mount that is in the car. The mount from my car has a round hole for the bolt to pass through which is securely encased in rubber while this mount has an oval hole which is free to move around and is only connected by two strips of rubber at the edges.

I recheck my order, Mercedes-Benz Home > 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D Base Sedan > Transmission & Clutch > Transmission. There is a note next to the part which reads Fits Manual Transmission. I then cross reference that with Mercedes-Benz Home > 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D Base Sedan > Transmission & Clutch > Automatic Transmission. Interestingly enough the manual transmission and automatic transmission mounts have the same part number. Guess I'll need to contact customer service regarding my order.


Though I don't have three correct replacement yet, I had some time to pull the old mount from the car and get to see the condition of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment